11.08.2008

Rachel Getting Married and stuff

Whoa. Talk about a heavy movie. Deb and I saw Rachel Getting Married today, and I really enjoyed it. (I think Debbie did too, but I realize now that I never asked her.) 'Enjoy' probably isn't the right word for a movie about a recovering drug addict and her F-ed up issues. But, the movie was excellently done. Anne Hathaway was fantastic. It was great to see Debra Winger again (I'll probably be pulling out Terms of Endearment soon--it's been a while). The movie was cast very well, the writing/plot was intense, the direction was spot-on, the soundtrack was interesting. I can't praise it enough. There's already been talk of Ms. Hathaway getting an Oscar nod for this role--it would be well deserved.



We saw some good previews before the show--the one I'm most interested in stars Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. That's really all I needed to know. Excellent cast aside, the story looked good too--seems that some scandal is taking place at a Catholic school in the 60's. Meryl Streep and Amy Adams are nuns, and PSH is a priest who may or may not have done something untoward with a black student. It's based on a play, and is called Doubt.



A couple weeks ago I attended my {gulp} 20th high school reunion. It was a lot of fun and it was great to see so many old friends. I started thinking about an episode of What Not to Wear that I'd seen a few years before where they made over four women who'd be attending their 20th. I remember thinking: gosh, they're only a few years older than me, but they look so....OLD. Yikes. I don't know if cameras add age or what, but I didn't think anyone at my reunion looked as old as the people on that WNTW episode. In fact, everyone looked great! What a relief.



OK. I promised I'd give 30 Rock another try this season to see if I could get into it. The answer is no, I can't. I watched this week's episode with Oprah, and laughed out loud once--at a site gag. (It was when they showed one of Olympic events NBC had made up to boost ratings and U.S. metals: synchronized running.)



That was funny, but not enough to get me to add 30 Rock to my Tivo queue. I tried, but it just isn't going to work out.



How cool is it that hulu.com let me select *just* that clip to share? Love that site!

3 comments:

Erika said...

I saw Doubt on stage when it came to Baltimore and it is a great play. There was a wonderful actress in the main role of the nun who is bringing allegations, and I am supposing that will be Meryl Streep's role. The play only had four actors in it: the older nun, the younger nun, the priest, and the boy's father. I am not sure if they'll change anything when they bring it to the screen, but I found it to be a pretty powerful play.

Valerie said...

That's interesting--two changes I can see on the screen is 1) it's the boys mother who's involved and 2) you see who the kid is. I'm looking forward to it.

Allyssa said...

Too bad about 30 Rock. I love it, but Arty can't get into it either. I think you have to have stuck with it to get a lot of the nuances. I loved the part where Liz (Tina Fey) asked "Oprah" if she could shout "Here comes Liz Lemmmmmooooonnnnnn." Whenever I dare watch Oprah (who Arty can't stand), he always comments--what is wrong with Oprah...why does she always shout like that? It just cracked me up.

Arty wants to see the Rachel movie, so it will probably be our next parents' night out. We went to a drag show last night (without Bennett, of course). FUN!