10.23.2008

It really is genius!

Version 8 of iTunes came out recently and it features Genius Playlists. I LOVE it. You pick a song in your music library, and Genius creates a playlist from other songs in your library that go great together. I have NO idea how it works, but it does create some cool playlists.

For example, I created a playlist around Parliament's "Flashlight" and the top 10 songs (out of 25) of the funky playlist looked like this:

1. Flashlight - Parliament
2. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus & Chaka Khan
3. Brick House - Commodores
4. That's the Way of the World - Earth, Wind & Fire
5. Love and Happiness - Al Green
6. Poison (Extended Club Version) - BBD
7. Feels Good - Tony! Toni! Toné!
8. Can You Stand the Rain - New Edition
9. Wishing Well - Terrence Trent D'Arby
10. I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) - Aretha Franklin

Then I did one around Nu Shooz' "I Can't Wait" and got a pretty good 80's mix:

1. I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz
2. Too Shy - Kajagoogoo and Limahl
3. Tell It To My Heart - Taylor Dayne
4. Dress You Up - Madonna
5. Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go-Go's
6. She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
7. Drive - The Cars
8. Groove Is in the Heart - Deee-Lite
9. One More Try - George Michael
10. Whip It - Devo

I can't wait to play around with this some more. I'm curious to see what Genius will come up with when I do a Maroon 5 song, or something from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: