9.08.2008

2008 TV Season

It's become an annual ritual: I get my Fall TV issue of Entertainment Weekly, read about all the shows, and then map out what I'm going watch. Here's my schedule for 2008.

(Click on the graphic for a larger view.)


NOTES:
  • I'm so disappointed about what they're doing with Friday Night Lights. DirecTV has an exclusive deal to air 13 episodes begining in October. NBC will then air the season in February 2009. So, if I'm either forced to order DirecTV to see my favorite show, or I have to wait several months after it's already aired. Who made this brilliant decision?! I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be able to watch it online, but haven't seen anything yet. I suspect if that option is available, I'll probably have to pay for it. We'll see.

  • I put Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on the schedule, but only plan to watch the first two weeks--that's when the show about the family from Gaithersburg, MD will air.


  • True Blood, a vampire series on HBO looks interesting--I'll watch it a week or two and see if I want to continue. Ditto for My Own Worst Enemy on NBC> I'm only giving that a chance because I've always been a big fan of Christian Slater.


  • I watched the first episode of Stephen Bochco's Raising the Bar last week. It was okay. The stories were okay, and the performances were okay. I was distracted by all the stylizing though--every time the scene changes, there's a graphic effect that I find annoying and distracting. I like the cast, so I'll watch it another couple of times and then decide whether to stick with it.

    Can you believe this: is Zack from Saved by the Bell?!
    Dude. What's with the hair?

  • I'm also going to try The Mentalist simply because Simon Baker's in it. I'm worried that it's too much like Psych though.


  • Gary Unmarried had a funny commercial running during the Olympics, so I'll give this a try or two also. I like Jay Mohr.

  • Do Not Disturb looks ridiculously silly, but I like Jerry O'Connell, and it's directed by Jason Bateman, so there you go.

  • I'm looking forward to Kath & Kim with Molly Shannon and Selma Blair. Also on Thursday night, I included 30 Rock. I've tried this show several times, and want to like it, but I can never get into it. Alec Baldwin was on 60 Minutes as I was doing my schedule--and truth be told, the clips they showed of him were funny, so I decided to try ONE MORE TIME.

  • Like so many other shows, Life on Mars is a remake of a British show. I never got to see it on BBCA, so I'd like to see this version.

  • I kinda like the premise of The Ex-List--a woman meets a fortune teller who says the woman has already met and dated the man of her life. She then goes on a quest to find him. What I don't like is that it stars Elizabeth Reaser, who played Rebecca on Grey's Anatomy--I just don't care for her, but maybe she'll be okay in this new show. We'll see.

  • Really looking forward to the return of Life, Eli Stone, and Dirty Sexy Money, my favorite new shows from last year.
OK, I guess that's it. Happy TV watching!!

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

You gotta watch Dancing with the Stars so we can discuss it!

Valerie said...

Um...yeah. Sorry--just can't do that. I just can't get into that show. What else can we discuss? Biggest Loser, perhaps? :o)

Sorry!!

Cyndi said...

Nah, I don't like watching fat people lose weight when I'm so fat...does that make any sense?! What about Lost..can you get back into that? Are you still boycotting AI??? (Those are the only 3 shows I watch.)

Valerie said...

I think it's too late for Lost--I haven't seen it since maybe the 6th show of the first season. As for AI--I don't know. I was so annoyed by it last season, I don't know if I can do it again. But...I'm intrigued by the new judge, so we'll see. That doesn't come on until January though.

Clearly you just need to watch more television. :o)

Cyndi said...

New judge?! Who did they get rid of???

Valerie said...

No worries, no worries. They didn't get rid of anyone; they're just adding a 4th.