8.07.2008

Joshua takes the prize!


Tonight's SYTYCD finale was FANTASTIC. JOSHUA won $250K and a role in Alan Shankman's new movie. And, this year, for the first time, the top girl also got a prize. Katee's walking away with $50K herself. I'm so pleased for both of them. And as I suspected, the other dancers seemed genuinely happy for the winners, too.

There were tons of performances tonight. There were six judges on the panel who selected their favorite performances of the season. Out of the nine selected performances, Katee danced in four, and Josh was in two.

The dances we got to see again were:
  1. Selected by Nigel: Katee & Joshua's Bollywood dance. I thought it was even better tonight because they both seemed so relaxed and happy.

  2. Mary: Courtney & Gev's Rumba to "Wishing on a Star" by Rose Royce. This was beautiful. I just love Gev, and it was great to see these two dancing together again. Great choice Mary! I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but Gev reminds me of Casey Affleck. Not necessarily in this pic of Gev, though.
     


  3. Adam Shankman: Comfort & Twitch's hip hop to Chris Brown's "Forever." This performance marked Comfort's return to the show after Jessica got hurt. Another great choice.

  4. L'il C: Mark & Chelsie's "Bleeding Love" (Leona Lewis) routine. I loved this one too! These judges sure have good taste.

  5. Mia: Will & Katee's pas de deux to David Archuletta's "Imagine." Katee & Will made the turn tonight that they flubbed a bit the first time. They seemed so triumphant. The performance was stunning. Debbie Allen, one of the judges on the panel, looked so proud.

  6. Adam: Courtney and Mark's performance to "The Garden" by Mirah; choreographed by Sonja. Adam said this dance represents the last eight years of his dating life. Another great one!

  7. Mary: Katee & Twitch - The Door Routine, choreographed by Mia Michael's to Duffy's "Mercy." (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Duffy's CD for those who don't already have it.) This dance is my favorite of the season.

  8. Debbie Allen: Twitch & Kherington's Viennese Waltz to Céline Dion's "A New Day Has Come." This is the one that Jean Marc Généreux choreographed for his daughter. This one is my mom's favorite of the season. It was a great performance.

  9. Nigel: Katee/Joshua's hip hop performance to "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown, and choreographed by Napoleon & Tabitha. This was another great one.


Other treats in the show:

  • The show opened with the top 20 performing a Shayne Sparks routine to "Boom" by Sin featuring T-Pain. I miss Shayne on this show. Watching this opening number was like watching a huge crew on America's Best Dance Crew. (which I'm watching as I type this now...they're doing party dances from the 80's! Fanny Pak just did a routine to "Lean on Me," "New Jack Swing," and "Ice Ice Baby...." GOTTA LOVE IT! I think they're gonna win this thing. I was dubious when they first auditioned on the show, but I really like them now.)

OK, where was I?

  • Oh yes. A wise person once wrote at the end of her blog on July 24, 2008 that she'd like to see Mary & Nigel dance on the show. Guess what?! They did! Mary did a Latin dance with Dmitry from season two--she was great. It's fun to watch her dance and not hear her screaming. Nigel did a tap routine with kids from the Debbie Allen Dance Academy to "Boogie Wonderland" by EW&F. I had a blast watching this one...Nigel was fantastic. I was very impressed.

    Adam Shankman said he'd like to come back next year and take Nigel on. Debbie Allen (or was it Cat Deely?) said that every judge on the panel should have to dance next season. I LOVE that idea--I hope they follow through.

  • To me, this isn't a treat, but the Jonas Bros. performed. I just saw them earlier this week, I think on Jay Leno. Once a week is enough, so I fast-forwarded. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were 13....

  • There was a POPPING BATTLE between two dancers from the auditions--Robert Muraine and Phillip Chbeeb. WOW. They danced (popped) to Kanye West's "Stronger." It was AMAZING. The judges cast their votes, and Robert won the battle 4-2. I voted for Phillip, because frankly, Robert scares me. He's multi-jointed and gets his body into positions that should not be possible. Adam Shankman said he's a freak of nature. I'll say! (Robert's on the left.)

    video


  • Top 5 guys did their "Five Guys Named Moe" routine that was choreographed by Nigel. It was great to watch them because I realized once again just how much I like them all: Twitch, Will, Joshua, Gev and Mark.

  • The cast from Criss Angel: Believe by Cirque du Soleil performed a Wade Robson routine to "Homage to the Rabbits" by Eric Serra. The camera focused on a sign before the dance that read, "Homage to all of the Rabbits who died in the hands of incompetent musicians." This thing was CREEPY. All the dancers were dressed in rabbit costumes and it looked just like something out of Donnie Darko. It might give me nightmares.

  • Finally, dancers from seasons 1-3 provided updates on what they've been up to, and then danced to Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music." Great to see Lacey, Benji, Dmitry, Dominic, Hok, Travis, etc.


I think this was a great season, and I *might* consider paying to see this group when they go on tour. Not sure I want to spend all that time with a bunch of teenagers though.....

Hope everyone enjoyed the show as much as I did. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Oh. By the way--I spoke too soon earlier. Fanny Pak was just voted off. I hope no one took any bets.

No comments: