7.22.2008

Books and stuff

Books

On Friday night, I finished reading a book called The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. It's been on my mind ever since. It's about a woman who works for an organization that finds homes for the homeless. After one of the organization's clients passes away, they discover a large box of photos, many of celebrities, some dating back to the Roaring 20's. The woman starts to investigate how a man who seemed to be a professional photographer wound up a homeless man. Interestingly enough, some of the characters in the book are descendants of the characters from The Great Gatsby, which has lead me to re-read TGG. Once I've done that, I'll need to re-read The Double Bind too. I don't want to give anything away, but I had so many questions about this book when I finished it. I'm not in a book club, but I think this would make for a great discussion. I found a website hosted by the author where folks have posted questions and discussions. The author seems to respond pretty regularly, but I notice his answers are often vague & even more thought provoking. Very interesting book. I look forward to reading it again to hopefully work out some of the questions I have.

I also recently finished a book called Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest To Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass LookBig, Or Why Pie is Not The Answer which my friend Dana & I each bought based on the title alone. It was hilarious, and I've become a fan of Jen Lancaster. I also bought Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? and will start reading after I finish my Great-Gatsby/Double Bind project. Dana bought Jen's third book, Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office (which was actually her first, I think). We'll exchange them when the time comes. Jen says stuff that I might be thinking, but wouldn't dare say out loud. It's a nasty sense of humor, but she cracks me up.

Stuff
  • The Closer and Saving Grace are back on TNT. Yay! Psych's back on USA. I love The Closer & Psych. Saving Grace I like a lot, though Holly Hunter's character sometimes gets on my nerves.
  • Mad Men starts July 27! AMC ran a marathon on Sunday. I didn't record the whole thing, but recorded the last three episodes so I can have a refresher before the show starts again. This is definitely one of the best shows out there. As my friend, Jeanene, says, it's addictive!
  • Saw Mamma Mia! over the weekend. Eh. The casting was bad--Pierce Brosnan had no business in this movie. He's nice to look at, but not when he's straining to sing a duet with Meryl Streep. Meryl seemed to be having fun. I enjoyed much of the music, but I'd really recommend waiting for video on this one.
  • Speaking of Meryl Streep, I watched Sophie's Choice over the weekend. One word: wow.
  • Also watched North by Northwest - Cary Grant was so yummy. I really enjoyed it.
  • Now in the middle of Raging Bull.
I guess that's it for the weekend round-up. Looking forward to seeing who's paired with whom on SYTYCD tonight tomorrow. UPDATE: I always get the nights confused with American Idol's schedule. Every Tuesday I turn on the TV and wonder where my show is. Hopefully I'll get over this by the time the season ends.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I love, love North by Northwest. "Tell me, how does a girl like you get to be a girl like you...?"